If you have pain or discomfort in your neck and shoulders, try these tips at work to reduce pain and prevent possible injury. Try these out and see which ones you like.
Then focus on those for a week or two until they become habit. After mastering those, you may want to add another “good” habit.
1. The keyboard should be close enough to you that you don’t have to stretch forward to reach the keys.
2. Avoid reaching far forward or twisting behind you to reach for things. Stand up, or turn and move close to the article you need.
3. Your mouse should be close to the keyboard where you don’t have to reach to use it.
4. Keep your upper arms close to your sides, hanging straight down. Let your shoulders remain relaxed, not rigid or “up to your ears”.
5. Keep your head aligned with your spine. Relax your neck & imagine your head floating toward the ceiling.
6. Remember to take frequent rest & stretching breaks. Stand up every hour and walk from one side of your office to another.
7. Keep a bottle of water at your desk. You’ll drink water through out the day, plus it will force you to get up to use the restroom!
We spend 50-80% of our awake time at work. If we’re sitting down for most of that time, the inactivity, stress and posture can increase neck, shoulder and lower back tension and pain.
Take good care of your body to prolong the affects of a relaxing and therapeutic massage.
What are your tips to decrease stress and tension at work?
Loosen Up Bodywork is Contra Costa’s premier therapeutic massage studio, providing the highest quality service by educating our clients on how to best utilize our services and products that are available. Our phones are answered by our therapists so you can always reach a trained massage professional to answer your questions. Or book a massage appointment for our Pleasant Hill office
through our online scheduler.