- Very cold applications, such as ice packs, should be used briefly on localized areas, like inflammation, swelling or sprains.
- Use for 20-30 minutes on the injury followed by 15-20 minutes off.
- This therapy works best when used frequently within the first 24 hours of an injury.
- Always use a cloth between your skin and ice.
- NOTE: If a joint or limb seems deformed or you can’t bear weight or otherwise use it normally after hours, contact your physician.
Source: Take Care of Yourself: The Complete guide to Medical Self-Care, Donald Vickery, MD, and James Fries, MD.
Loosen Up Bodywork’s certified massage therapists specialize in deep tissue, sports massage & NMT, to provide the highest quality massage therapy for our clients. Book a massage appointment at our Pleasant Hill massage studio online or call (925) 289-9750.