• Lie comfortably with your arms and legs outstretched.
• Clench one fist and hold it for 10 seconds.
• Relax the fist for 10 seconds, then clench again, and relax.
• Repeat with the other hand.
• Draw the toes of one foot toward the knee. Hold for 10 seconds. Relax and repeat.
• Do the same with the other foot.
• Repeat the same sequence for the following body parts, first on one side of the body, then the other.
You can experiment with other muscle groups as well.
Back of the lower legs. Point, tense your toes, and relax.
Buttocks. Squeeze together and relax.
Shoulder blades. Draw together and relax.
Abdomen. Pull in tightly and relax.
Neck. Push your neck down towards the floor and relax.
Face. Tighten and contract the muscles around your eyes and mouth, and relax.
After a week, try combining muscle groups. For example, tense and relax the following parts together. Hands and arms on both sides. Face and neck. Shoulders and back. Legs and feet.
After another week, try to quit the tensing part of the exercise. Lie down and focus on different areas, relaxing areas that feel tight.
Source: Fibromyalgia and Muscle Pain: Your Self-Treatment Guide by
Leon Chaitow N.D., D.O., Thorsons, 2001
Loosen Up Bodywork provides the highest quality service by educating our clients on how to best utilize our services and products that are available. We have multiple online resources and our phones are answered by our therapists so you can always reach a trained professional to answer your questions.
Our goal is to empower our clients to take charge of their own health and wellbeing. With our therapists vast knowledge in various natural health treatments, we can assist you in finding the best modalities to match your unique body.
Visit our massage services page to see how we can partner in cultivating health and wellness in to your life.